Surfing the Southside - Hatteras Island. Photo by Zog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hatteras Highlights

1.  Did my first carving jibe and a couple more.  First was on the 138 Twinser going starboard to port.  The next two were on the Cross 104 going port to starboard.  Now I ain't sayin they was purty, but I carved in and made it around without falling or dropping the sail.  This was only my fourth or fifth session working on them, so as you can imagine, I'm totally stoked and looking forward to getting better at it.

2.  Got a great used 2010 Exocet Cross III 104.  Everybody at Hatteras has a Cross.  This board is smoother than Keith Stone.

3.  Had the full Hatteras beach break down experience and survived pretty well.  The fuel pump on the Tahoe quit as soon as I hit the beach strand at Canadian Hole to try my new Cross.  Did not get to windsurf that first day.  Tow from the beach to parking lot $150.  Tow to Avon Motel to unload all my windsurfing gear $50.  Fuel pump installed the next day $500.  I can't complain.  Makes me appreciate the times when all my stuff is working.

4.  Free fourth of July pig pickin and live music at the venerable Avon Motel and Cottages.  They've got everything you need and nothin you don't.  And you never know who you're going to meet there.  We had a great crew for the week.

5.  Abby accompanied me for the second time and did great.  She is becoming a real Hatteras Island veteran.  She absolutely loves to chase minnows in the Pamlico Sound while I windsurf.  She got to meet Gus, the Canadian Irish Setter.  Gus is the only boy I would let Abby date.

6.  SW winds all week.  Although I missed great wind on Monday, Friday turned out really good from about 3 to 5.  The wind filled in real nice at a solid 23 to 25.  Got to sail in these great conditions with The Dude for a couple of hours on my new Cross 104 and a 4.7 perfectly powered.  Got a taste of speed during one of the gusts, easily 5- 8 mph faster than I've ever been.  I thought I was going to land in Swanquarter in about 2 minutes.

7.  Made the first helitack that I attempted on the Cross 104.  Got my quick tacks down pretty good also.

1 comment:

  1. Thats why they call it Hatteras magic. If you are looking to learn and improve nowhere beats it. Did Abs notice Gus' hair?

    ReplyDelete